I recommend using social media as a central component for your dealership’s networking, new business efforts. The primary reason is that it “teaches” dealerships to do the things they should have been doing all along to acquire new customers.
For social media to be effective you must:
- Identify your niche and your best target audience.
- Listen. Better understand your prospective customers and what they are wanting from you.
- Be transparent. The success of your audience must be more important than your own. But it goes without saying if you can help your audience with their needs you will be successful.
- Build relationships. People always want to work with people that they know, like and trust. Social media provides these opportunities. It is “networking on steroids.”
- Always lead with benefits rather than your dealerships needs. It’s all about your audience. The moment you try to “sell” your dealership and products, will be the moment you lose your audience.
- Better communicate and articulate what you know. Dealerships are often poor communicators. Don’t believe me? Ask any of them what they do. They can’t succinctly define what they do apart from a prolonged discussion.
These are the things dealerships should be doing but most don’t.
Social media becomes the tool to put these things into practice. It helps dealerships create a more clearly defined focus and differentiating business strategy that will give them a competitive advantage for new business, a higher-profile reputation and an improved ability to attract and win the customers they really want.